Don't miss

Rachel Nichols: Only Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Duke Back for G.I. Joe 2?

As bad as G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra was, it’s starting to look like the sequel could be a lot worse. Rachel Nichols recently used her verified Twitter account to share some disheartening news:

“GI JOE 2 News Flash: The only characters to return in the JON CHU directed sequel will be SNAKE EYES, STORM SHADOW, and DUKE…”

She did add later that things could always change, but since she made a point to mention “smaller cast means smaller budget,” I’m thinking there’s a sharper eye on the numbers than there is on actually cranking out a good story. When I let you know back in January that Storm Shadow would be returning, I made a comment about Sienna Miller (The Baroness) and Rachel Nichols (Scarlett) decked out in black leather being a nice bonus to an otherwise lame film. Since those two perks are gone, we’re not really left with much.

John Chu is okay at what he does, but even the best couldn’t crank out something decent if they don’t have the proper ingredients, and I don’t consider Channing Tatum a proper ingredient.

Just in case you’re still interested, G.I. Joe 2 is expected to arrive in theaters on August 10, 2012.

About Marty Shaw

Marty is a freelance writer who enjoys all things related to sci-fi, fantasy, and horror... with a strong interest in super heroes, too (just so they don't feel left out).

7 Comments

1. Antz

March 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm

What?!!!No swaggering Quaid as Hawk? Get rid of the two actresses who were pretty good fits for their characters? This movie sounds like a complete dud and its not even started filming yet. Please Mr Chu get Quaid in there even for just another extended cameo, ditto Miller and Nicholas. Also WE WANT Dane Cook as Clutch, Adam Beach as Airborne and Thomas Haden Church as Wild Bill. Also ditch the ridiculously stupid acelerator suits and dumb ass vehicles and kit out the cast in proper green kit rather than making them look like a load of dumb ass sci-fi rejects.
    C’mon fellas here’s a chance to up your game with this movie – but dont throw out the baby with the bathwater and take away some of the few good things about the first movie.

2. Marty Shaw

March 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I totally agree, Antz. I’m not even a Dennis Quaid fan and I was still looking forward to Hawk’s return.

The stupid accelerator suits might actually make it into the sequel with the way things seem to be going.

3. Antz

March 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Not sounding good at all is it? I mean it wouldnt have taken much just to have Quaid in a small role again – he leant the thing some much needed gravitas. After they messed with the classic Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow mythology in the last one – which is in my view one of the best comic book story arcs ever – I can’t say I hold out much hope for their character arc in this movie. I mean what’s it gonna be? Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow have a big fight. Duke turns up in his accelerator suit and saves the day?
    GI Joe has so much potential its just sad that they seem intent on churning out a dumb, empty, pyrotechnic thing with lots of bangs and no story.

• Marty Shaw

March 11, 2011 at 1:48 am

It’s sad when the cartoon version of a story has more plot than a movie but that’s what happened, and I totally agree that they ruined a great plot-element when they jacked with the Snake-Eyes/Storm Shadow storyline.

I should have known the movie would stink when I realized they gave Snake-Eyes lips. They took a totally kick-ass outfit and made it stupid with that one change.

4. Antz

March 18, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Yeah Snake Eyes with lips surely sucked!Oh well Marty – lets hope for better things next time around.
    Been wondering what Sam Peckinpah would have done with a GI Joe movie.
    Here some speculative casting if they were making this with a 1960-70s era Peckinpah cast
    Hawk – Charlton Heston
    Wild Bill – John Davis Chandler
    Grunt – Luke Askew
    Cobra Commander – David Warner
    Law and Order – Richard Jaekel
    Recondo – Richard Harris
    Outback – Ben Johnson

Sure would have been one heck of a movie!!

• Marty Shaw

March 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Well, I don’t know all those names but I know enough of them to know it would be a truly great kick-butt movie.

• Antz

March 28, 2011 at 9:59 am

Surely would be – today’s directors could sure learn a thing or two from Pekinpah!