Don't miss

J.K. Rowling Almost Left Emma Watson Alone

Ron Weasley, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter

Spoiler Alert: Many, many of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter characters die in the films inspired by her novels. In fact, I daresay more characters die in the books than we actually watch die in the movies. That’s really not much of a spoiler unless you are like me and you actually watched all the films first and are now tackling the reading of all the books for the very first time. But color us all surprised at this week’s J.K. Rowling headline! Was Emma Watson’s Hermione Granger very nearly left a single lass?

Yes, that’s true! The beloved author has unleashed new news that she “seriously” considered killing Ronald Weasley “out of sheer spite” as she was writing the famous series! It may not come as too much of a surprise. Dumbledore dies, though I watched eagerly, expecting him to return from the grave somehow. My three most favorite characters all die. Those are Snape, Sirius Black, and Dobby. Apparently I’m not alone in calling that trio my favs, either! But why murder Ron Ron?

According to the details from The Guardian UK, Rowling stated that though she initially promised herself “that none of them would die,” it was at about “midway through” in “a reflection of the fact that I wasn’t in a very happy place, I started thinking I might polish one of them off. Out of sheer spite.” In the end, she knew in her “absolute heart of heart of hearts, although I did seriously consider killing Ron, [I wouldn't have done it].” In fact, she told actor Daniel Radcliffe, that very thing because he was “convinced one of the main three had to buy it”.

Poor Hermione! I’m so glad the author left Miss Granger her soul-mate. Theirs is my favorite romance from the series. What are your thoughts?

About Sasha Nova

Sasha Nova is a fan of Marvel Comics, science fiction films and bright nail polish. A list of her published, short, speculative fiction stories can be discovered over at her blog: nikanors-inn.livejournal.com.

9 Comments

1. Neil

November 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm

It might have been more realistic if one of the three had died. I never bought the Ron/Hermione relationship and it might have been better if that was never forced on us. Harry needed Hermione to finish his journey, but Ron was just humourous, at times, extra baggage.

2. JB

November 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Shows what a total nutcase J.K. Rowling really is saying she was going to kill Ron off out of spite. I still think she would be homeless on the street if it wasn’t for Harry Potter.

3. Noobs

November 3, 2011 at 10:45 am

It would of been a real downer had she killed Ron off. The relationship between him and Hermione was my favorite thing about the series. Neil is correct in a sense that Ron was kind of like the comedy relief but at the same time i saw him as the underdog. In the real world i think Ron wouldnt stand a chance with a girl like Hermione so it was easy to keep rooting for him in the movies.

4. Angela

November 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I don’t think I’d have liked Ron to die. Unless that lead the way for Harry and Hermoine to end up together. Theirs would be a believable romance,

5. Johnny

November 16, 2011 at 1:45 am

I would have loved for Ron to die. I hate that character. J.K., you should have gone ahead with it!

6. Ayaan

November 17, 2011 at 6:22 am

Yupiee……..!

7. Tania

November 17, 2011 at 11:33 am

OMG!! Ron is my absolute fav character! If he was killed i would’ve probably stopped reading. i can’t even imagine such a thing. Thank goodness it didn’t happen.

8. Jamie Turney

May 25, 2012 at 1:35 am

Ron really was the “weakest link” as it were… but he was also the most human. He had real insecurities and could be petty and stupid at times, just like a real teenager. Harry is too tragic and noble and Hermione too clever and fiercely upright to really identify with sometimes. It’s through Ron that Harry really finds his second family. Ginny might never have gotten past her Hero-worship of Harry to get close enough to get to know him if he hadn’t been her older brother’s best-friend.
    And though the movies seem to reflect chemistry between Harry and Hermione, it really isn’t there in the books. They have a genuine platonic love, he sees her as a sister and vice versa. And again, through Ron she does become his sister by marriage.
    Harry suffers and loses so much in the course of the story, I think it would have been too much for him to lose Ron as well. It would have left both Harry and Hermione broken, and that would be a hollow victory.

9. veioejt

June 2, 2012 at 8:32 pm

thank god she didn’t kill ron off!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!