- HBO Grants Game of Thrones Epic Season 4Posted 52 days ago
- Dispute Gets Game of Thrones Actor The Tyson VS Holyfield TreatmentPosted 59 days ago
- Game of Thrones: George R. R. Martin Makes a Cameo in Season 4Posted 62 days ago
- Jon Snow & Ygritte Get Cozy In Game of Thrones Portraits!Posted 65 days ago
- Watch The Newest Game of Thrones Trailer!Posted 66 days ago
- Game of Thrones Season 3 is a Beast Waiting to be StirredPosted 68 days ago
- Game of Thrones Recap: Get Caught Up On Season 2Posted 74 days ago
- Game of Thrones Extended Season 3 Trailer Has Bears, Sex, Flaming Swords and Everything ElsePosted 81 days ago
- Game of Thrones: Shadowed Cast in New Season 3 PostersPosted 82 days ago
- Game of Thrones Season 3 is Chaotic in New Teaser from HBOPosted 102 days ago
Abigail Breslin Goes FINAL GIRL
Well, Abigail Breslin ain’t afraid to mix it up, that’s for sure. From her awesome, Oscar-nominated turn in Little Miss Sunshine, to Zombieland to The Santa Clause 3, she seems to be avoiding typecasting at all costs and good for her. Fittingly, news has just broken that she’s attached to a hopefully harrowing, intriguingly titled horror film: Final Girl.
For those who don’t know, the ‘final girl’ is a term spun out of horror film theory. She’s the slasher film’s last woman standing after all those fornicating, drug-taking, potty-mouthed chicks have been taken by our killer; she bucks the odds and triumphs, most often undergoing some pretty gnarly transformation in the process. The slasher film is also by and large an extension of the crime genre, one point at which (another being the gothic) where crime and horror overlap – a mystery-propelled and murder-filled battle of wits (or dimwits).
Final Girl the film is centered around a “feral” group of murderous boys who have killed before, and Deadline tells us that Breslin ‘s character is to be their final victim. It’s a fairly clever twist on the idea. Of course, the Final Girl is the girl who shows the most teeth despite her fear, and the article hints that the character will show even more than most, describing her as “the wrong girl” for the teenage killers to choose.
Hopefully, the playfulness ends there and we get something more Hard Candy-Goes-Slasher than Scream. Whatever the end result, I’m interested enough to keep an eye out.
Final Girl marks the directorial debut of photographer Tyler Shields, from a script by Adam Prince (Red Sky), from a story by Steve Scarlata, Alejandro Seri and Johnny Silver. Next up for Breslin, keeping the variety coming, is Ender’s Game, based on the classic SF novel by Orson Scott Card. Nice work if you can get it.