- HBO Grants Game of Thrones Epic Season 4Posted 45 days ago
- Dispute Gets Game of Thrones Actor The Tyson VS Holyfield TreatmentPosted 52 days ago
- Game of Thrones: George R. R. Martin Makes a Cameo in Season 4Posted 55 days ago
- Jon Snow & Ygritte Get Cozy In Game of Thrones Portraits!Posted 57 days ago
- Watch The Newest Game of Thrones Trailer!Posted 59 days ago
- Game of Thrones Season 3 is a Beast Waiting to be StirredPosted 61 days ago
- Game of Thrones Recap: Get Caught Up On Season 2Posted 67 days ago
- Game of Thrones Extended Season 3 Trailer Has Bears, Sex, Flaming Swords and Everything ElsePosted 74 days ago
- Game of Thrones: Shadowed Cast in New Season 3 PostersPosted 75 days ago
- Game of Thrones Season 3 is Chaotic in New Teaser from HBOPosted 95 days ago
Andrew Dominik’s KILLING THEM SOFTLY Releases First Clip
A new film from Andrew Dominik is something to get excited about, but the wait between his flicks can be long and painful. We’ve been excited here at Criminal Complex about Dominik’s next flick Killing Them Softly since it was announced years ago. I find the best way to deal with the lack of Dominik in my life is the jilted lover’s approach – presume him gone forever, curse his name and pretend you don’t care, but the second he resurfaces, take him back and cry and beg him to love you. Unhealthy? You just don’t understand how special what we have is. He only breaks my heart because he cares.
Anyway, the first clip from Andrew Dominik’s upcoming Killing Them Softly has come online, and while it doesn’t show much, it’s still enough to get me excited. The clip features the great Sam Shepard and rapper-cum-actor Slaine shaking down Ray Liotta. It is, as expected, funny, clever, violent and wonderfully laid back.
Killing Them Softly originally went by the (far better) name of Cogan’s Trade, but the name was changed because of some studio tinkering that basically boils down to “something-something quadrants.” It stars Brad Pitt as a point man – essentially a scout for a hit man. There. Sold, right? Let’s go see this. I’ll buy the beer and popcorn. You want more info? Okay, fine, here you go:
You either love Andrew Dominik, or you haven’t seen his films yet. And hey, if you haven’t, no sweat, it’s pretty easy to catch up – he’s only got Chopper and The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford to his name, thus far. His films are flawless, perfect, beautiful flicks – films that focus acutely on story, character and mood (and amazing cinematography) – these films feel fresher – more gorgeous and intense than just about anything else going these days.
I am a sucker for a good cast, and much like Ben Affleck’s next flick, Argo, Killing Me Softly features a pretty phenomenal cast – Brad Pitt headlining, with the stunning Ben Mendelsohn (who US readers hopefully remember as the terrifying Pope in Animal Kingdom), James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Garret Dillahunt and the previously mentioned Shepard, Slaine and Liotta rounding it out. Now, that is an amazing list of names. I would watch these guys do anything, even finger-paint pictures of dinosaurs (and, if my birthday wish comes true, I will be seeing that soon).
Now, the cast isn’t the only reason to get pumped for this one – Dominik is adapting a novel by George V. Higgins, whose work was previously adapted into one of the greatest films of the ‘70s, the Robert Mitchum/Peter Boyle starring The Friends of Eddie Coyle.
Word on the street (ie: the internet) is that this bad boy will be in competition for the Palme d’Or at Cannes this year, so between that and pedigree of this thing, I’m pinning all my hopes and dreams for the future on it.
So yeah, no pressure, guys…