- HBO Grants Game of Thrones Epic Season 4Posted 52 days ago
- Dispute Gets Game of Thrones Actor The Tyson VS Holyfield TreatmentPosted 58 days ago
- Game of Thrones: George R. R. Martin Makes a Cameo in Season 4Posted 62 days ago
- Jon Snow & Ygritte Get Cozy In Game of Thrones Portraits!Posted 64 days ago
- Watch The Newest Game of Thrones Trailer!Posted 65 days ago
- Game of Thrones Season 3 is a Beast Waiting to be StirredPosted 67 days ago
- Game of Thrones Recap: Get Caught Up On Season 2Posted 74 days ago
- Game of Thrones Extended Season 3 Trailer Has Bears, Sex, Flaming Swords and Everything ElsePosted 80 days ago
- Game of Thrones: Shadowed Cast in New Season 3 PostersPosted 82 days ago
- Game of Thrones Season 3 is Chaotic in New Teaser from HBOPosted 102 days ago
Blake Lively, Salma Hayek, And More In New Clips From SAVAGES
Has the real Oliver Stone returned from the Land of the Dead?
Things are looking extremely promising in regards to Oliver Stone’s Savages. The drug trade thriller is set for release on July 6th, and with the accompanying hype machine now shifting to high gear, it appears that a return to form for Stone may finally be at hand.
In recent years, the mention of the veteran director’s name has not brought about the combination of reverence and disgust that it did in years past. Once among the most controversial figures in all of show business, Stone has long since faded into the crowd of capable directors-for-hire.
Based on what I’m seeing from Savages, Stone may be heading toward a career resurgence. The recent trailers that have been airing on national TV promise a pretty gripping look at the drug trade that permeates the border country, with a heavy dose of action and a colorful cast of characters to keep you in your seat. Think Traffic without the compulsory nap in the second act.
As the clock ticks down toward the Savages national release, Universal Pictures has released a package of clips which feature the principles from the new film in an interrogation setting, that we spotted on Deadline. Have a look-see:
Stylistically speaking, there are some distinct Oliver Stone hallmarks at play in the new clips. Superimposing the characters over moving imagery that offers truth in contradiction to the lies that the characters are spilling to their “interrogator” takes me right back to Natural Born Killers. It’s the type of effect that has been conspicuous in its absence from Stone’s more recent snoozers.
I’ve been slagging on Stone pretty hard since Savages started down the hype trail. Deservedly so, I might add. Oliver Stone hasn’t done anything to endear himself to his fanbase in nearly twenty years. The last time I saw the real Oliver Stone’s work was U-Turn, in 1997. And U-Turn was horrible, but it least it was a horrible Oliver Stone film. Since then, he’s been directing horrible Ron Howard movies.
Hopefully the real Oliver Stone will show himself on July 6th.