- HBO Grants Game of Thrones Epic Season 4Posted 49 days ago
- Dispute Gets Game of Thrones Actor The Tyson VS Holyfield TreatmentPosted 55 days ago
- Game of Thrones: George R. R. Martin Makes a Cameo in Season 4Posted 59 days ago
- Jon Snow & Ygritte Get Cozy In Game of Thrones Portraits!Posted 61 days ago
- Watch The Newest Game of Thrones Trailer!Posted 63 days ago
- Game of Thrones Season 3 is a Beast Waiting to be StirredPosted 64 days ago
- Game of Thrones Recap: Get Caught Up On Season 2Posted 71 days ago
- Game of Thrones Extended Season 3 Trailer Has Bears, Sex, Flaming Swords and Everything ElsePosted 78 days ago
- Game of Thrones: Shadowed Cast in New Season 3 PostersPosted 79 days ago
- Game of Thrones Season 3 is Chaotic in New Teaser from HBOPosted 99 days ago
A Very Noticeable Young Lady: Lucie Blackman, High Touch Town History & PEOPLE WHO EAT DARKNESS – The Nail That Sticks Out
In part 9 of THE NAIL THAT STICKS OUT, we delve into the case of Lucie Blackman, the gaijin hostess who never left Roppongi alive.
- Posted 375 days ago
Apocalypse Whores: Seijun Suzuki’s GATE OF FLESH – The Nail That Sticks Out
In part 8 of THE NAIL THAT STICKS OUT, we focus on Seijun Suzuki's 1964 classic, GATE OF FLESH. Post-war Japan just got a whole lot sexier.
- Posted 403 days ago
In and Out of The Big House: DOING TIME and 9 SOULS – The Nail That Sticks Out
“Time flies.” - Kazuichi Hanawa By his own admission, noted Mangaka (pro comics creator) Kazuichi Hanawa had long been interested in themes of confinement. An early, unfinished experiment was a manga concerning a masked man locked up in a...
- Posted 466 days ago
Songs of Hate, Part Two: The Visual Instead Of The Verbal – The Nail That Sticks Out
“Women commit crimes because of men.” - Spoken by the ghost in Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 We left off last column with a run-down on the first of actress/singer Meiko Kaji’s Female Prisoner Scorpion series and a hint that...
- Posted 511 days ago
Songs of Hate: Meiko Kaji and Female Prisoner Scorpion (Part One) – The Nail That Sticks Out
She sold over a million albums, her films inspired much of Kill Bill, and when she didn’t want to do what she was asked of by executives, she said uh-uh and split for greener pastures. Her name is Meiko Kaji....
- Posted 534 days ago
Murder, Sex, and True Fake Crime in Sion Sono’s Guilty of Romance – The Nail That Sticks Out
“Oishi sausage des!” –Sion Sono, Guilty of Romance Okay, hands up if you know what a love hotel is? Yeah, right, feel free to skip ahead. For those who don’t: A love hotel is basically a venue that...
- Posted 563 days ago
It’s Not The Quantity, It’s The Quality: Sion Sono’s COLD FISH – THE NAIL THAT STICKS OUT
Back in my days teaching English in Japan, I raised the topic of murders and why they were so frequently extreme in Japan. One student actually said in reply, “It’s not the quantity, it’s the quality.” Kind...
- Posted 575 days ago
THE NAIL THAT STICKS OUT – Edogawa Rampo: The Godfather of Japanese Crime Fiction
“Ah, what bloody, tragic times…” ‘Two Crippled Men,’ Edogawa Rampo In a story entitled “The Human Chair,” an anonymous, physically repulsive furniture maker builds a large, beautiful chair that he can climb in and out of to enjoy...
- Posted 585 days ago
Dead Supermodels: The Photography Of Kaoru Izima – The Nail That Sticks Out
I love them when they are dead I want some cold-blooded women lying in my bed I love you when you are dead - Batmobile, “Dead (I Want Them When They Are Dead)” At first you have...
- Posted 856 days ago